Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gabriel's prayer

We were watching Horton Hears a Who this afternoon. We, of course, emphasized the pro-life message in it: "...a person's a person, no matter how small." We noted something I don't even remember from the book: the mayor of Who-ville has 98 daughters and 1 son. In fact, I don't think that is in the book. Anyway, Doug, of course, told Gabriel to tell me that he wanted a baby sister. I laughed and thought about my usual comment to that statement: I can only contribute an X. It is up to Doug cause us to have a girl.

Anyway, after the movie, Gabriel and I went to the store to get the milk that always seems to be running low. Gabriel got on the end of the cart. We didn't need one, but he insisted. I pushed the cart through the doors toward the fresh fruit and vegetable section. He was hanging on the end of the cart with his head bowed and his fingers interlaced. When he lifted his head, I asked him if he was praying. He said he was. I asked him what he was telling God. He said he was asking God for a baby sister. I swear to you, I started crying right there, pushing the cart down the isle toward the milk coolers. I told him that God would be the One to give him a sister or a brother. God is the One who gives us life. Maybe He will answer his prayer.

There are times when children can really take your breath away. This was one of those times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep praying Gabriel, God answers all our prayers! Tell mommy one day this will happen and she has to pray too! You are one of God's children as mommy is. Pray little darling and I will pray to! love nana