Thursday, May 10, 2012

I feel guilty

In this internship at an adult foster home, sometimes I feel like I'm learning more about dealing with disabled people than about MA skills.  I walked into the men's house leary about working with men.  I really didn't want to deal with the really personal parts of caring for a disabled person.  I had started getting used to the women after being there for a week.  Millie, my supervisor, told me I had to got to the men's house when I returned on Monday.  Vitals were easy.  I only had to do it on 2 people, Tom and Mark, and Tom did half of it by himself.  Charlie, a guy disabled and crippled up by 2 strokes, laid down in his bed at 3pm, so a staff member went in his room to feed him in bed.  Mark, a man blinded by 2 strokes, only needed a really big spoon and a description of his plate based on a clock.  I had nothing to do, so I sat down and talked to Tom and Mark while they ate.  I did this every night this week.  I also sat with them at lunch.  And then there were the appointments.  I went to 3 appointments with Mark on Tuesday that turned into 4 and caused me to spend approximately 9 hours with him instead of the 5 that it was supposed to be.  Mark is kind of lonely though you wouldn't know it because he avoids the group because he hates the loud noise.  We talk the entire time we are together and I'm not afraid to share things about me and my life.  I think part of the reason he likes me is that I'm not far off from the age of his daughter.  I'm not that dumb and I could tell he liked talking to me.  But I didn't realize how much he liked me talking to him until I said goodbye tonight.  He asked if I would be back tomorrow.  I said, no, I wouldn't, because Millie thought she needed Fridays free to do paperwork.  He asked if I would be back next week.  I told him that I didn't know what Millie's plans were for me.  It didn't occur to me until on my way home that I was filling his need for attention and setting him up for disappointment when I was told to work at the women's house or when my internship ended.  I feel guilty.

No comments: