Monday, August 06, 2012

Job-hunting Sucks

They say that the job search should be your full-time job if you are actively seeking employment.  I am not currently having trouble with this, but I keep wondering when I will run out of jobs postings.  What stinks is that my selection is from the major health systems in the area.  It is hard to find the little clinics, and, if I did, I don't know that they would pay me enough.  However, the problem with the major health systems is that they aren't really going to personally look at my resume and be willing to give me a chance.  I'm kicked out by a computer program for lack of experience and a sketchy work history.  Sorry for my lack of experience, Mr. Computer, but I am a recent graduate of a program teaching me the job for which I am applying.  Without a job from you, how can I get the experience you require?  Why don't you just hire me and brainwash me to do things the way you want?  I could get to the job if I could get to the interview.  I know because one of our teachers, Eileen, brought in a friend, Ann, from the ski patrol she was on.  Ann is a manager of the area Fairview clinics and thus responsible for the hiring.  She was telling us what to put in a resume and how to act in an interview, what she would want to see if she was interviewing you.  She wasn't saying much other than what she was brought to teach us, except at the end.  She said that there were 3 of us in the room that she would hire.  I was one of them.  I kept asking questions and making eye contact.  I smiled and gave genuine answers.  The sad thing is that she hires for Fairview and I have been applying to Fairview.  She liked me and would probably actually give me a shot, but she'll never see my application because of some stupid computer program that weeds me out.  What happened to the days when a human decided which resume was worth investigating?  Does anyone new to the field for which they are applying have a chance anymore?  I'm all for technology, but does it have to make every decision?

No comments: