Monday, July 12, 2010

On the Road Again

I am in a hotel in west central South Dakota. My destination tomorrow is Deadwood where two of my techs work. I can't complain about traveling, because some employees travel more than I do. Further, I do not travel as much as I did when I was a field tech. I miss our beautiful boys when I am traveling. The good thing is that coming home is always a sweet reward. I will see Heather and the boys Friday, so that is cool beans, as Heather would say.


I had a reservation at this hotel. I even contacted the hotel to let them know that I would have a late check-in. When I showed up here, my room was given to someone else. Fortunately, there was a single room still available. Unfortunately for the hotel, it was the king Jacuzzi suite and I got that room for the cheapo rate charged for a standard room. Good for the payer, bad for the payee. For me, this is a "Whoohoo!" moment. I get to enjoy this one facet of being on the road, especially since I was driving most of 12 hours today. The stinky part is that Heather is busy with classes, and the boys are with a sitter during the day while Heather is in class. As a result, I am on the road without my family. But my techs have to be away from their families, so I shouldn't necessarily expect anything different. I manage better by not being too far removed from the things that the techs go through doing their jobs. That is what I think.


That doesn't remove the fact that I am far from my family. I don't like it, but it is a necessary part of the job. I know, I know... homecoming is much sweeter because I am out here on my own.


Time to wrap up my final for this class and call it a night!

No comments: