Monday, May 24, 2010

This week's classroom discussion: The American Melting Pot

In class, we are debating the "American Melting Pot" versus the Salad Bowl. The idea is that in the salad bowl that they are trying to use as a replacement for assimilating and becoming an American, everyone embraces their ethnic diversity first, and becomes an American as an afterthought, really. That just doesn't work for me and sounds backwards.

All this talk about multiculturalism is so euphorian and politically correct, such nonsense, especially when individual cultures and Americanism can co-exist without the need to erase ethnicity. Some of the reasons that the "Melting Pot" is endangered include the strong emphasis on valuing multiculturalism over assimilation. I see no reason why I cannot celebrate my German heritage at the Oktoberfest back home where most everyone is German, and still be an American. I am not a German-American. My ancestors came from Germany (more or less), but I clearly am not a German! If I must be a hyphenated American, then I am an American-American... I didn't originate in Germany, after all. Whatever my ethnicity, in the end, I am still me, simply an American.

I do not ask others to forget their heritage, but I think that Americans have to remember that they are Americans first. To strengthen the American culture, loyalty has to be to the United States first and with a greater bond than ethnic diversity can ever lay claim. Even becoming a naturalized American, loyalty should be to your new country first, with nods toward the heritage of your origins. I believe that diverse cultures are very interesting and make life more dynamic, but I do not believe that sharing cultural flavor has to diminish the uniqueness of being a flag-waving American. Look at what America offers. There is more freedom to do what you want and to take chances to become who you want here than anywhere else. That is what distinguishes Americans from the rest of the world, the great extent to which freedom of expression and thought sets us apart from most of the world. If Americans of every race, color, and heritage would join together to express pride in being free, proud Americans, that is half the distance to the goal, I believe.

Now, I can see that last statement being taken too far, and that is a danger as well. How far do you have to go toward preserving the American Melting Pot before you become jingoistic or drunk with nationalistic fervor? History has shown countries that started out trying to unite, especially in hard economic times, and then took it too far, when a charismatic leader took the people to nationalism with an eye toward world domination (think of German and Axis powers and a serious superiority complex). So, what do we do, as Americans, to unite and embrace what it means to be an American first? Simple. Celebrate being an American, not a hyphenated American whose ancestors happened to come from some other country! Then, get together with your neighbors who happen to be of a different race or color, and share your cultural experiences and your ethnic cooking. I see this as a raison d'etre that can join people together. Sharing their cultural differences and learning how those things fit together in America can unite people under the banner of American pride. I know that all sounded like a pepfest for American cultural superiority, but America has no originating culture of its own.  At it's core, being American is itself a blend of world cultures, all melted together. That is the essence of the American melting pot.
 
If you are a native-born American, be proud of it and embrace it, because you are mighty fortunate to have been born in this great country. If you happen to be a naturalized citizen, shout out your allegiance to America first! Assimilation is not a curse or a mistake. Be proud to have melted into the stew that is American culture, a mix of the whole world's ethos, only this is better than any individual culture.  Celebrating American cultural pride comes with a great, big helping of freedom on the side. Now what is wrong with that?  

No comments: