Sunday, June 24, 2007

Just Stuff

I see that I recently mentioned the names we have chosen for our baby. Oops. Thanks for overlooking my forgetfulness. =)

A couple of days ago, Heather, Gabriel, and I went to see 'Evan Almighty.’ I loved it. The movie is appropriate for all ages, which is a good start. The movie is funny, right from the beginning. I expected a cameo from Jim Carey, but I did not see him, unless he was in disguise or I missed it. Heather and I both agree that this movie will have a place in our movie library. Without being too preachy, Evan Baxter follows the commands of God, even though what the Lord is telling him to do does not make sense to him. At first, Evan worries that others will think he is nuts, especially since he was just elected a U.S. representative based on his slogan of “Change the world.” As time goes on, he becomes more comfortable with just doing what God wants, even though it makes him look a bit out of place in the world of politics. Ultimately, the movie reveals that it is a great tale, is funny, isn’t too preachy to give the positive message to the general public, without causing discomfort to those who see it as either just funny from a secular viewpoint, or a modern-day retelling of the story of faith of Noah, from an allegorical perspective. I could go on and on about why I really loved seeing this movie. Briefly, the movie is entertaining, funny, and I can take my kid to see the movie, without worrying about the content whatsoever. For a parent, that is a good start when it comes to movies.

We watched another movie today that fits the same description of superb and family-friendly fare, though with less of a modern-day retelling of a Biblical story. The second movie is ‘Bridge to Terabithia.’ My little sister said that she did not really like the movie, so I was not sure what to expect. I like this movie. It has its emotional moments that tug at your heartstrings, to throw out an overused cliché. The message was about friendship and the importance of family, among other things. It rather parallels some other stories from a decade or two ago, such as ‘The Neverending Story’ and tells you that by using your imagination, your life can really come alive. Of course, that is my interpretation. Anyway, ‘The Bridge to Terabithia’ is a good movie, and is ideal for families. Oh, by the way, this is another great movie from Walden Media. I do not own stock in the company. I just really am happy to see these family- and faith-oriented movies. Other movies in the same vein that Walden released lately include ‘Because of Winn-Dixie’ and ‘The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe’, both of which I really enjoyed and will watch with my children again and again. Along with Fox Faith and its wholesome movies, finally, someone is getting it right, for families.

No comments: